Sandor Katz - The Art of Fermentation - Saturday 15 February 11am
*This event is currently fully booked. Please email us firstname.lastname@example.org to be waitlisted for any cancellations.
What is fermentation? The inevitability of it, and ways in which it transforms food.....
Come learn how simple it is to make your own kraut, kimchi and other fermented delicacies. Learn about the healing qualities and nutritional importance of live-culture ferments, as well as their illustrious history and integral role in human cultural evolution. Empower yourself with simple techniques for fermenting these healthful foods in your home. Become part of the fermentation revival!
Dubbed by the New York Times as “one of the unlikely rock stars of the American food scene,” award-winning American author, DIY food activist, and self-described “fermentation revivalist” Sandor Katz is the unofficial global godfather of the fermentation movement. To say we are delighted to be hosting his only NZ events is a bit of an understatement!
This event is being co-hosted by Connal Finlay of Fermenting Productions & Kelli Walker of the multi-award winning "Forage & Ferment" boutique fermentary in Clevedon.
During the event we will be serving a range of locally produced food & beverages from Forarge & Ferment. A Lady Butcher. Espresso Workshop. Curious Croppers.
· Sandor's books will be available to purchase both before and after the sessions, and of course he will be happy to sign them for you.
· We expect this event to run for approximately 2 hours, however due to the interactive nature we cannot give an exact end time.
· As we are serving a range of food and beverages our standard event policy with regards to food allergies applies. This is available to view on our website, however if you have any concerns, please contact us before booking.
· Please aim to arrive by 10.45am for this event
Sandor Katz was born in New York City and now based in rural Tennessee, Sandor (aka Sandorkraut) has been a fervent fellow of fermentation since long before it was a thing – try the 1980s.
His early books Wild Fermentation and The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America’s Underground Food Movements have become essential reading for anyone interested in fermentation, while his 2012 tome The Art of Fermentation – the most comprehensive guide to DIY home fermentation ever published – topped the New York Times bestseller list and took out the 2013 James Beard Foundation Book Award for Reference and Scholarship.
In demand by fermentalists the world over, Sandor has presented countless workshops throughout the US, Europe, South America, Asia and beyond, where he shares his decades of wisdom to skilfully demystify the art of fermentation – empowering folks to harness the health-giving magic of this transformational culinary alchemy.
- : Cook the Books
- : Cook the Books
- : SANDOR1
- : events
- : Cook the Books Kitchen - 19 Williamson Ave, Ponsonby, Auckland
- : 11am
- : 2020-01-31
- : 2020-02-15